It is now officially autumn so we’ve decided to embrace it and create these beautiful glitter salt dough ornaments.
These are really easy to make using everyday ingredients and will become very special keepsakes for the children!
What you’ll need
- 2 cups of salt
- 2 cups of plain flour
- 1 cup of warm water (give or take)
- Glitter in different colours
- Food colouring
- Rolling pin
- Baking tray
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 100 C / 200 F
- Place all the dry ingredients (including the glitter) in a bowl and mix.
- Stir in the warm water slowly (add a little more if too dry).
- Knead until dough forms (the mixture will be sticky at first but will become like regular dough as you continue to mix).
- Separate the dough into different balls to add the colours of your choice (autumnal colours like red, orange and yellow will be perfect for this project!). Push a dent into each one and add a small amount of each colour. Fold the dough over and over until the colours are mixed in (try to avoid touching the gel directly as it does stain for a few hours.)
Roll the dough until it is about 1cm thick.
- Use a fallen leaf and press to make an impression on the dough
- Cut out leaf shape with a knife (under adult supervision)
- Poke a hole at the top for hanging
- Pop them on a baking tray, put them in the oven and bake for 3 hours.
…ready to hang!